Tomorrow, June 25th – LWV Nationwide Virtual Lobbying Day for VRAA
Join LWV members from across the country to virtually lobby the Senate to support the Voting Rights Advancement Act (VRAA) on Thursday, June 25, then participate in the Twitter Storm at 1:00pm CT that day.
Why are we doing this? June 25 is the 7th anniversary of Shelby County v. Holder, the case that invalidated the section of the Voting Rights Act that required states and local government to obtain federal approval to changes to voting and redistricting. The Supreme court told Congress they would have to pass legislation to address voting discrimination – 7 long years have passed without action.
What is the Voting Rights Advancement Act (VRAA)? The VRAA restores and modernizes the Voting Rights Act, limits certain practices that courts have found discriminate, increases transparency by requiring public notice for voting changes and authorizes the Attorney General to send observers to places where voting challenges exist. The House has passed this legislation and we want the Senate to act. This is a key issue for racial equality in our country.
What Can You Do?
- Call your Senator Fischer and Senator Sasse on June 25. Use the Capitol Switchboard number (202)224-3121 and urge them to support VRAA.
- For a script and more information go to https://www.lwv.org/LobbyDay2020
- Follow-up with an email thanking them and urging them to support VRAA
- Senator Fischer http://www.fischer.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact
- Senator Sasse http://www.sasse.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-ben
- Join the Twitter storm between 1:00pm – 2:00pm CT demanding action on VRAA. Include the Senators Twitter names @SenSasse and @SenatorFischer and the hashtags #RestoreTheVote #LWVLobbyDay
We hope LWV members form across the country participate. Make sure our Nebraska Senators hear from their LWV constituents!